Quebec City

Quebec City

Friday, October 17, 2014

Traveling to Canada

For the past week my friends and family have been keeping me busy, and I mean BUSY. Five days in a row of non-stop activity is a lot to squeeze in. I did have a lot of fun with everyone: went to Knott's Berry Farm and Scary Farm, had a fantastic beach party, several different dinners with people, and bowling. But the day finally came when I had to leave.

My flight was an overnight flight, so I had the whole day to still do stuff. My morning was filled with two coffee/breakfast dates where discussions of theology, Canada, and lots of laughter happened. I had some free time in the afternoon which I used to pack and re-pack my bags. Lugging your 50 pound bag to the scale four times isn't that much fun. I finally sat down to watch a movie with my brothers, but I was even working on a project while doing that. The project still didn't get finished. I was able to have a nice dinner at home with my family before they drove me to the airport. I love my family and will miss them and their funny quirks.
My brothers Scott, Mark, and John and my "sister" Rachel.
Sadly not picture with my parents. Sorry Mom!

Thus my long night of traveling began. I had a five hour flight that left San Diego at 9:40pm and landed in New York at 6am EST, which would have been 3am PST. Then I had a three hour layover before my next flight left at 9:20am and arrived in Quebec City at 10:45am. With the lack of sleep and overall tiredness I had experienced in the previous busy days, I had, and so did others, hoped to get some sleep on the flight. Needless to say, that didn't help. I may have gotten half an hour to an hour of good sleep on the first flight. I know this because the food and drink cart was at the front of the airplane when I dozed, and it was just a few rows in front of me when I woke. That was the longest amount of actual sleep that I got. So I got a lot of reading done.

I did meet some interesting people though. I sometimes like to talk to the people who are sitting next to me on the plane, but everyone had the same agenda on the first flight. To sleep. But I ended up talking to two people while waiting for both of my planes. In San Diego I met a man from Boston who had been in town a few days for business. He had tried to arrive a day early to get some sight-seeing done, but ended up being sick the first day. I was able to tell him of a few places to visit the next time he was in San Diego. In New York, I met a woman who was also going to Canada. But she was not on my flight and I cannot remember where exactly she was going. But she and I got to talking about my work of going to Canada to be a Missionary Associate. She was very interested and sounded as thought she knew about mission works as well. She turned out to be an ordained minister in the Wesleyan church and was on her way to a Board meeting at their Bible College, again I don't remember the name of it. I thought she was very interesting.

Once I landed in Quebec City, I had to go through customs. I was applying for a special Visa called a Charitable or Religious Work Visa. I handed my papers to the first customs agent who was in one of those glass caged cubicles. I told him what I needed. He gave me this look that said, and WHY are you doing this? He sent me around the corner to a small room which ended up being the interrogation-I mean interview room.  I was asked more questions by a different man, and was describing in detail as to why I was there and what visa I wanted. He may have given me a few are you sure? type of looks, but he seemed very nonchalant and couldn't care less. He asked me to wait outside. By the time I was back outside that office, everyone was gone. And I mean EVERYONE. There were no passengers getting luggage, and no officers or agents waiting at the line. Talk about creepy! So I grabbed a cart and put all my bags on it and waited right outside the door of the room I was just in. Sitting outside in complete silence, waiting for half an hour for the guy who will determine your fate (at least it seemed that way), can be a bit nerve-wracking. So read my book to try and calm myself down. He finally called me back in and gave me my visa after explaining a few rules of what I can and cannot do with my visa. I was so relieved. Thank you GOD!!!

Pastor Ben was right outside to pick me up. He drove me around the city, pointing things out and talking about the history and culture of the place. We had lunch at a crepery, I had ham and asparagus in my crepe. It was actually pretty good. I went along with him to meet an elderly couple in the church and to pray with them over the things going on in their lives. They were so sweet and so welcoming to me. Then we went to meet the couple I would be staying with, the Michauds. They are so sweet. They had a room all set up for me, which they had set up that day, and are so welcoming and asking if I need anything. They both know enough English to have some conversations with me. I barely know any French, but they are obliged to speak English with me until I learn more French. I have already picked up a few words just by asking them how to say different things. I am in a cozy basement room and am content so far.

The Lord has blessed me greatly with this living and community situation. I am so thankful for this. I cannot wait to see what the Lord will be doing through this.
 Me in Quebec City with the most photographed building, the Chateau Frontenac.
 
The Michauds whom I am staying with.
Suzanne and Patrice

No comments:

Post a Comment